Having been obsessed with rabbits now for a while, I thought it might be interesting to share some of my knowledge that I have picked up over the years.
Let me start by introducing my rabbits.
I have two of them.
My first rabbit’s name is Figaro and he is a 3-year-old Dutch rabbit.
If you are considering purchasing a rabbit, let it be known that they are a lot of work. Some things to think about include: where you live, if you have small children, if you have other pets, if you will have enough time to give your rabbit all the attention he/she deserves.
Also, you should know that rabbits are curious and a bit destructive. If you have a cord lying on the floor, your bun will saw it in half in the blink of an eye. Here is a neat video of a guy who rabbit-proofed his entire home.
If you’re wondering what you might need to start your life with your bun, here’s a list of all the things I have for my rabbits.
– A cage
– Food dish and a water bottle
– A large bag of Oxbow timothy hay (most important food source for rabbits)
– Fresh vegetables (second most important food source for rabbits)
– Oxbow Bunny-T basic pellets (third food source for rabbits. Some owners choose not to include pellets in rabbit diets)
– A brush for when your rabbit sheds. (I highly recommend the FURminator, it is truly worth the money)
– And, of course, some treats! (I would suggest buying the Oxbow treats.)
For those of you who live in Lansing, Mich., a great place to check out is Preuss’ Pets. They carry all the above items and more to keep your rabbit a happy healthy boy or girl.